Wednesday, July 28, 2010

A New Day

The last year has really been different for me. I now work in the office full time (by choice), my husband has been unemployed for the past year and has taken on the stay-at-home dad role, and my workouts have suffered a bit. It's been a good year though, just a change in focus and energy. I still run, but have bypassed several races, only because I really haven't been ready for them. I run up to 5 miles from time to time, but just never take it much past that, and just not consistent with weekly workouts. Mentally I have believed that I was still in that space, but reality showed, I lost a little momentum. But that's ok, it's a new day and I am trying to start over. I forgot how hard it was to start a new program, especially as you get older. But never impossible!

Today marks my second week of training! Training for what you might wonder? I have ambitiously signed up for a 125 cycling event to raise money for MS. I recently bought a rode bike and am truly enjoying every minute on the pavement. The event, Waves to Wine Ride, is a 150 mile ride to the wine country and back with my salesforce.com cyclying team in the end of September. I have signed up to ride 75 miles the first day, and 50 the second. I am truly excited and committed to training, and believe I can do it.

For the fourth year, I will be running Nike woman's half-marathon. God willing, I got into the VIP club for this race and automatically get in every year. How can I not run it! Training for me now consists of running and cycling every other day and resting Friday's. I have never trained for two events at once. I hope to rock both!

Longest ride was last Saturday, clocking 24 miles in 1 hour 29 minutes, and longest run was today at lunch totaling 5 miles. I feel good about where I am at. I have 9 weeks for the ride and 12 weeks for the run. I think I can do it! Matter of fact, I do not have a choice, I have to do it, for I only have myself to blame if I don't.

Question of the hour? Why can't I remember to update my blog. Well, life has its ways. I work a 40+ hour week, get home and tend to the kids, have dinner and then go to bed to do it all over again the next day. I am not complaining, for I love my life and my job, but I sure would love to blog more often. Maybe I set a reminder in my calendar? Wonder if that would really work. I guess we'll see.

So far, I have run 15.5 miles and cycled 48.8 miles since July 17th. I look forward to adding to those miles next week. Until then..night! Continue to strive for all you can and remember you get to start over every day. Aren't we blessed?!

No comments: