Tuesday, January 26, 2010

How does time always escape me?!

Time would have it that I did not update my blog through the exciting adventure of my last 3 runs, all within 6 weeks of each other. Bummed as I am that I was unable to journal the experience, it is the facts. So here I am again to catch up on the last 5 months.

I started off strong with my 3 days here and God willing, I was able to end strong. My training did not go as anticipated on all cylinders due to travel for work and winter colds, but I can testify that I was able to run two 1/2 marathons and a 10 miler in 6 weeks with my head held high.

Nike Woman's Half Marathon in SF
- This is my favorite run all time. Fortunately I was able to run it for the third time this round. It's so much fun! We get a big group of running moms from our neighborhood, get a couple hotel rooms and make a weekend out of it with dinner and shopping. To my surprise I ran this far better than I expected, with a time of 2:09. There are some gruesome hills in there but race day energy is like a drug! Oh did I mention my Tiffany necklace?!

SF Half - This run was two weeks after Nike in almost the same location in SF except we hung a right towards and over the Golden Gate rather than a left through the persidio. Running over the bridge was quite exhilarating and truly an experience to be had. Overall the race was great and yet another 1/2 under my belt (oh and my first medal).

Big Sur Half - The last of the three races was Big Sur Half along the Monterey coast. The half was sold out but I was able to secure a spot for the 10 miler, and I have to say I was very grateful for that in the end. What a beautiful course this race is. All along the coast with clear skies and crashing waves. Definitely one to do again. At this point I was ready for a break and so was my body.

As of today, I am running about 4.5 miles in distance and I haven't really strived for much more. I have to say though, I am happy at that distance. It's a great workout and I still get the awesome joy out of running that I love and crave. Life throws funny curve balls sometimes and you just have to roll with it and make lemonade out of the lemons you have. Life is busy and time is cut short most days, but no matter what I will continue to run, even if it's just 3 miles, because it defines me. I will again be at the place where I am ready to train for another race and when I am, I will embrace and enjoy each moment.

Until then, I will continue to run the race of my life with a smile and make the very best of each day. I will continue to make time to get a good workout in and when I feel like I can start to push my way forward in miles again, I will. Bottom line, life takes you on many different turns, ups and downs. Embracing the facts and truth about where you are today actually gives you more opportunity and strength for growth tomorrow. The mind is a powerful thing. Be kind to yourself and know there is always tomorrow to start new.

No comments: