Friday, June 6, 2008

Our 4th half marathon victory....

It was the perfect day for a half marathon. It was chilly, but not too cold and over cast so the sun wasn't going to be beating down on me in mile 3, matter of fact I was hopeful it wouldn't pop out at all. I had lots of hope.

Last weekend four of us local mom's ran See Jane Run half marathon in Alameda. What a blast we had, and success to top it off. Success because I didn't train for this 1/2 like I have trained for others in the past. My running partner and I had run 7-8 miles regularly so I thought we would probably do fine, but we never ran more than 7 miles this time and there had been a few hit and miss runs. I can honestly say I was a bit concerned. I was okay if I had to walk some of it, although I have never walked in any race but because I was mentally doubting my ability to rally through I excused myself to walk. The good news is I never had to. We ran it in 2:06, two minutes slower than our last half marathon just two months ago. Granted the wind was gushing against us in the last 3 miles at a slight incline and I won't lie, those last 3 miles were grueling but we powered through, a bit slower than normal, but nonetheless we powered through and finished in a time we didn't expect.

Ahhh, the feeling of triumph at the end of a race. The victory you feel at the end of each race is priceless and indescribable. I was so ecstatic that we finished in the time we did given the circumstances this time around. It gave me so much hope for the next race, the next run! I love running so much and I love completing my races even more. It such an accomplishment to run any race, no matter what mileage your run, where ever you are at in your runs, it feels great! You feel on top of the world and no one can take that away from you. It's yours and only yours.

After the race we received our pendants and sipped champagne as we stretched our aching muscles. Completely exhausted but high off of yet another victory. We could put our anxieties about what we thought we couldn't do behind us. If there is one thing you get out of this, is the mind is so much stronger than the body. Often times we tell ourselves we just cannot do something, but in reality we can do anything we put our minds too. That is not a false statement, it is the amazing truth that we all need to remember daily.

Go sign up for the next 5K, 10K, 1/2 marathon or full marathon because you CAN...

No comments: